A powerful offline browser for Mac, Windows, and Linux for managing all your web content, books, and notes. Polar keeps all your content in one place, supports tagging, annotation, highlighting and keeps track of your reading progress.
POLAR allows you to keep all your documents, annotations, and flashcards in once place. Never lose track of what you're reading again. Annotate documents directly while reading them and sync with spaced repetition systems like Anki.
- **PDF**: We have first-class PDF support thanks to PDF.js. PDFs work well when reading content in book format or when reading scientific research which is often stored as PDF.
- **Captured Web Pages**: Download HTML content and save them as offline documents which can be annotated. Captured pages are rendered for greater readability using CSS browser emulation.
- **Pagemarks**: Easily keep track of what you're reading and the progress of each document. Pagemarks enable a form of non-linear reading named incremental reading and the ability to suspend and resume individual documents for later consumption.
- **Offline Support**: All content is stored locally which means you can use Polar while offline. Polar cloud sync allows you to use Polar with other computers as well.
- **Hackable**: The entire system is based on Electron, Node, pdf.js, React and other web standards. If you're a developer - welcome home!
- **Standards Based**: All content is stored as JSON in a well documented schema. Annotations never change the original content which keeps your document repository safe.
POLAR is fully cloud-aware and support synchronizing your documents across multiple devices running either MacOS, Windows, or Linux. Based on Google's Firebase, POLAR supports real-time synchronization of your documents to other devices.
Annotations are a central feature to POLAR. While reading documents you can underline text or create area highlights. Once created, you can attach additional metadata to annotations such as comments and flashcards.
The document repository allows you to manage your documents in one place - sort by reading progress, or time added, archive and filter flagged documents.
Polar supports reading and annotating HTML documents. We call this process 'capturing' content and we store the document permanently in your own private archive.
Since most pages aren't designed for reading and have ads, chrome, and other annoyances within the page, we render the content as a tablet device to make the content more readable.