MongoDB is a high-performance, open source, schema-free document-oriented data store that's easy to deploy, manage and use. It's network accessible, written in C++ and offers the following features:
- Collection oriented storage - easy storage of object-style data
- Full index support, including on inner objects
- Query profiling
- Replication and fail-over support
- Efficient storage of binary data including large objects (e.g. videos)
- Auto-sharding for cloud-level scalability
High performance, scalability, and reasonable depth of functionality are the goals for the project.